Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How much cardio is enough cardio?

I get this question all of the time and the answer depends on what your goal is for your training. If you just want to burn fat the answer could be as simple as doing 15 min of cardio everyday in the morning before breakfast. This does not have to be high intensity (over 130 Bpm) it is only meant to burn fat. So in other words you could walk, bike, run, swim or whatever you want. If you want to get better endurance for some sort of endurance sport than you would want to do much more intense cardio of course. This cardio would have to bring your heart rate over 130 Bpm.The majority of my cardio is done for fat burning purposes so I do mine in the morning before I eat breakfast. See my previous article about the benefits of cardio before breakfast. I do on occasion however do cardio for a purpose. I do an endurance based workout that consists of 8 exercises non stop. I would only suggest doing such a workout once you have achieved a good level of conditioning. This will increase your ability to do endurance exercise even further. I typically do these endurance days on the rest days from my weight training. Whatever your goal is fat burning or endurance or some combo pick your plan and stick to it. As I always say consistency is your key to success. Happy training.

No comments:

Post a Comment